Our ultimate watch gift guide for watch aficionados is ment to treat you with the holiday season approaching ! We must warn you first, you might end up buying everything, be careful and read along at your own risk !
• A new strap. Changing a strap is probably the most cost-effective way to get a new watch. It’s amazing to see how our perception of a watch can totally change with just a new strap. Some watches are pretty versatile and look amazingly well with different straps such as the Omega Speedmaster that will be equally gorgeous on steel bracelet, leather strap or even nato strap. Panerai is also famous for their large variety of straps and the ease of changing them. It is often said that a true Paneristi doesn’t live too far away from his additional straps and can’t change them in less than a minute ! If you are looking for some nice, hand crafted straps, we would suggest having a look at Crown & Buckle for the variety of their straps and the quality of the production. For the Paneristi we were talking about, you can have a look at Toshi Straps, they are all hand made as well and look amazing, we had to include them in this watch gift guide !
• A holiday watch. During the holiday season, you might not want to travel or do certain activities with your good ol’ favorite watch. A more appropriate watch would sense. However, as a watch enthusiast, wearing quartz is not an option (and trust me, I get that!). This is where the amazing Seiko 5 military jumps in! For approx 50 bucks, you get this reliable mechanical watch with an automatic movement, full date display and visible movement at the back. Tell us in the comments if you know a better deal!
(A pricier option with higher finitions would be the Hamilto Khaki Field.)
• A watch book. Watchmaking is all about enjoying great timepieces and learning amazing stories about watchmakers, watches and people who wore them. Therefore, what can be better than a book in our watch gift guide ? Here is our favorite books that you will enjoy reading during this holiday season :
1) Moonwatch Only: The Ultimate Omega Speedmaster Guide “It makes perfect sense to publish a book called Moonwatch Only. The OMEGA Speedmaster Professional – the Moonwatch – has done things that no other timepiece has done and it’s been worn in places where only a few human beings have been.” Captain Eugene Cernan, the last man on the Moon
2) The Rolex Story. In this amazing book from Franz-Christoph Heel, you will learn everything about one of the most legendary watch brands out there. Created 110 years ago by visionary watchmaker Hans Wilsdorf, you will discover stunning facts about the brand that gave birth to iconic watches such as the Submariner, the Daytona, the GMT and so on… A must read !
3) The Wristwatch Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Mechanical Wristwatches. A few weeks ago, Ryan Schmidt released this great book, filling a whole in watch fan’s library. Or to put in John Reardon’s (International Head of Watches, Christie’s) word : “The Wristwatch Handbook is the gateway to informed wristwatch collecting that will open up the world of watches to you in a concise and enjoyable way.” If we had to chose one book to start, it might very well be that one.
4) Breguet: Art and Innovation In Watchmaking. Abraham-Louis Breguet founded one of the most remarkable watch manufacture in Paris in 1775. He is famously recognized as being the inventor of the tourbillon and Breguet watches have been seen on the wrists of people like Napoléon Bonaparte, Marie-Antoinette, Queen Victoria and the list could go on forever… Watchmaking wouldn’t be the same without the work of Abraham-Louis Breguet and this is what you will learn with this book from Emmanuel Breguet (yes, you got the name correct!)
• A cool History of Time poster. Not everyone will get the chance to put his hands on this item as each print is signed and numbered by the artist. On this poster, you will have the 49 most iconic watches ever made (including the Apple Watch!). We are seriously thinking of getting one for the Toolwatch office !
• A handmade watch winder. Watch winders can be very handy especially if you have several automatic watches. And if you even have a quantième perpetuel, setting it up every time you switch watches can become a nightmare. The solution would be to have a watch winder but they are often (very) expensive or of poor quality. Luckily, our watch gift guide has you covered with this amazing handmade watch winder at less than 90 bucks (shipping included!!). This watch winder is handmade of wood with a lovely piano baking varnish, very silent (you won’t hear the motor) and 100% safe for your watch as it is guaranteed with zero magnetization, and you know that magnetism is the number one threat to a watch. This watch winder is a no brainer if you have several automatic watches or just one that you do not wear every day (shame on you!)
• A cool leather travel watch case. Let’s get things straight. We are not fan of the watches shown in example BUT this leather travel case is the perfect gift for anyone that travels and enjoys wearing both a sports watch and a classier looking one. It also works as fine at home if you just want to protect your watches. This watch travel case can hold up to 3 watches and maybe even one more depending on the sizes of your timepieces. We had to put it in our watch gift guide.
• A wooden watch box. Every serious watch enthusiast needs a watch box. No doubt about that ! The question know is “just” to find the right one, with a nice finishing, enough space (while not being too big either) and a nice glass to let its owner enjoy the sight of his timepieces. This vintage wood watch box answers all the above criteria. What is there not to like ?
• A watch demagnetizer. You should always keep your watch away any strong magnetic fields but having this great watch demagnetizer to safely and quickly demagnetize your watch’s movement can be pretty useful and save you a visit to the customer service department.
• A new watch. We said earlier that straps were the cheapest way of getting a new watch. And the most expensive way ? Buying a new watch !! There are so many amazing watch brands that we couldn’t recommend one over the other as it all comes down to personal tastes. However, did you know that the three most measured brands with Toolwatch are Seiko, Rolex and Omega ?
And you, what would you like to give or receive as a watch lover ? Please let us know in the comments do not forget to check if your watch is accurate! You wouldn’t want to be late for the party !
See you soon for a next article to share our love for mechanical watches !